MWMurphy Enterprise Support Grant

Enterprise Support Grant

Enterprise Support Grant

The Short-Term Enterprise Allowance (STEA) gives support and or a grant to people who want to start their own business but have lost their job. We are more than happy to help with quotations for tools or equipment to help you in your steps to getting a new business up and going as we have helped a number of previous customers in doing so before.

To qualify you must be getting Jobseeker’s Benefit. There is no qualifying period, which means you do not need to have been getting Jobseeker’s Benefit for a certain period of time. However, you will not qualify if you are getting Jobseeker’s Benefit and working part-time.

The Short-Term Enterprise Allowance is paid instead of your Jobseeker’s Benefit for a maximum of 9 months. It ends when your entitlement to Jobseeker’s Benefit ends (that is at either 9 or 6 months).


Help with starting a business

In addition to income support (your weekly payment), you can also get financial support with the costs of setting up your business. These supports are provided under a scheme called the Enterprise Support Grant (ESG). (The ESG replaced the Technical Assistance and Training Scheme.)

You can only get the ESG if you have been approved for either the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance or the Short-Term Enterprise Allowance. The business plan you submit as part of your application for the scheme must set out the rationale and requirement for financial support. The ESG is paid to people getting the STEA on a pro-rata basis – a maximum of €937 can be paid to people on a 9-month STEA and a maximum of €625 to people on a 6-month STEA. You must be able to make a matching contribution of at least 20% to access grant support. You need to provide documentary evidence of the costs (quotations from at least 2 suppliers or, if a single supplier, the reasons for choosing a single supplier).

M.W. Murphy & Son Ltd can supply items from a number of the below categories:

Eligible items for grant support include:

CategoryAnnual limit, €Minimum contribution from applicant
Accountancy and related services including legal adviceUp to €50020%
Advertising and marketing aidsUp to €50020%
Business equipmentUp to €1,00020%
Business mentoring (this can be offered free or at a reduced rate by Local Enterprise Officers (LEOs) or local development companiesUp to €25020%
Business registration costs and feesUp to €25020%
Compliance, guidance and trainingUp to €25020%
Job-specific tools and equipmentUp to €1,00020%
Office supplies and stationeryUp to €25020%
Personal protective clothing and equipmentUp to €25020%
Public Liability Insurance costs associated with setting up a business – no other insurance is eligibleUp to €1,00020%
Short-term training on book-keeping, regulation, rollout of business plan, start-your-own-business and courses of training related to the start-upUp to €25020%
SignageUp to €50020%
Upgrading to premises where the premises is owned by the applicantUp to €1,00020%
Website registration, related services and productionUp to €50020%
Combination of above in any 24-month period (for long-term BTWEA only)€2,500
Note that the ESG is paid to people getting the STEA on a pro-rata basis. A maximum of €937 can be paid to people on a 9-month STEA and a maximum of €625 to people on a 6-month STEA.

Note that you do not have an automatic right to any of these amounts. The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection’s Case Officer will assess your application and eligibility.

Some items are not eligible for grant support under the ESG. These include:

  • Building/premises rental costs
  • Cost of travel
  • Insurance (except public liability)
  • Personal clothing and uniforms (except protective clothing)
  • Professional development programmes arranged by professional and regulatory bodies
  • Purchase of any type of vehicle
  • Stock-in-trade
  • Training or education other than that specified
  • Utility costs, connection or supply and local authority rates

How to apply

To apply for the Short-Term Enterprise Allowance, complete application form STEA 1 (pdf).

If you live in an area covered by a local development company (LDC) you should return form STEA 1 to the Enterprise Officer. If you do not live in a LDC area, you should return form STEA 1 to the Case Officer in your local Intreo centre or social welfare local office.

The Enterprise Officer or Case Officer will look at your business proposal and may discuss certain aspects of it with you. You must not take up self-employment until you get written approval from the LDC or Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

If you are accepted on to the Short-Term Enterprise Allowance, you must register as self-employed with the Revenue Commissioners. You can find more information on self-employment from your local tax office.

Where to apply

If you live in an area covered by a local development company (pdf) , you should apply to the Enterprise Officer.

If you do not live in an LDC area, you should apply to the Jobs Case Officer in your Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office.

Information correct at time of publishing thanks to

Full link can be check out here